“Since we were restored to friendship with God by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be delivered from eternal punishment by his life.” Romans 5:10 (NLT)
“Now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God–all because of what our Lord Jesus Christ has done for us in making us friends of God.”
Before the fall of man, God created us to be in his presence at all times. However, once sin entered into the picture, things changed, and man could no longer be in the presence of God continually.
However, Jesus came and rebuilt what man destroyed, which was a personal relationship with God. Unlike the old testament priest who spent hours, preparing to meet God, we can now go to God ourselves.
So, how do you become best friends with God?
Through constant conversation, and continual meditation, YOU can get to know God as your best friend. Considering God as your best friend when getting together once a week at church won’t do it. Here’s what I mean.
- God wants to be apart of every event in your life, the good…the bad…and the ugly…
- He wants to give you solution to your problems, but He can’t when you won’t talk too him…
- He wants to guide you through those times when you don’t know what to do, but He can’t when you won’t talk too him…
- He wants to celebrate those special occasions, and accomplishments, but He can’t when you won’t talk too him…
- He wants you to know He is with you when you feel lonely, but He can’t when you won’t talk too him…
- He wants to be apart of your life, but He can’t when you won’t talk too him…
So, how can God be your best friend when you’re not treating him like your best friend? He can’t! You have to decide that you want God to be your best friend, or he never will.
The Bible says in Romans 5:11 (NLT), “Now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God–all because of what our Lord Jesus Christ has done for us in making friends of God.”
A common misconception people have is thinking that God has to become friends with you, but that was done years ago.
“All this is done by God, who through Christ changed us from enemies into his friends.” 2 Corinthians 5:18a (TEV)
On the other hand, if YOU don’t accept God as your friend, you’ll never get to know God as your friend.
God wants to be your friend. So, what can you do throughout the day to help remind yourself to think about God, and talk to Him more often throughout the day?
Book: The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren