Everything comes from God alone. Everything lives by his power, and everything is for his glory.” Romans 11:36 (LB)
Everything in and on the universe exist for God’s glory, and without his glory, there would be nothing.
So, what is the glory of God?
It is the essence of who he is. Stop where you are and a take a look around, nothing you see, or cannot see, exist because God create. From the smallest microscopic organism to the heavens in which the stars hang, God’s hand was, is, and will be apart of everything created.
We’ve seen God’s glory in history through people, the number one being Jesus Christ–God himself/the word–in the flesh, who lived among us.
John 1:14 (GWT) “The Word became human and lived among us. We say his glory…a glory full of grace and truth.”
God’s glory is what is, God himself. Just as it would be impossible for us to add anything to God, it would be impossible to add anything to his glory, because God’s glory is God himself.
But this part may surprise you. The only two of God’s creation that fail to bring Him glory are fallen angels (demons) and us (people). Sin’s only existence is due to failing to give God glory. Loving anything else more than God. Sin is what caused Satan’s fall–and ours, too.
The Bible says, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23 (NIV)
How can we bring glory to God?
Jesus brought glory to God by doing everything God told him to do.
John 17:4 (NLT) says, “I brought glory o you here on earth by doing everything you told me to do.”
And since Jesus is our example, we honor God the same way. We honor God when we fulfill our purpose. The birds sing, bringing God glory…the flowers bloom, bringing God glory…when you fulfill your purpose, you bring God glory.
There are many ways in which we can bring God glory, but they can all be summed up into five purposes for our life.
- We bring God glory when we worship Him – This is our first responsibility. However, God wants our worship to be motivated by love, and thanksgiving, not duty. When love is involved, everything you do becomes an act of worship.
- We bring God glory by loving other believers – It is our responsibility to learn how-to love as God does. When you love the family of God, you honor God’s glory.
- We bring God glory by becoming like Christ – God wants us to grow spiritually, by becoming like Jesus Christ as our example in the way we should think, feel, and act.
- We bring God glory by serving others with our gifts – Your talents, and abilities which God gave you are not for you, they are for the benefit of others.
- We bring god glory by telling others about Him – Think of God a grocery store getting ready to close its doors, but they’re giving away everything in the store. The first thing you would do is get on the phone and start calling people you know, the same applies here. start telling everyone you know.
Now comes the hard part, “living the rest of your life for the glory of God,” requires a change in your priorities, schedule, relationships, habits, and everything else you do has to change. But we all know how hard it is to change.
But now that you know the truth, you only have two options,
- Will you live the rest of your life living out your own goals, and dreams in order to stay in your comfort zone?
- Will you live the rest of your life glorifying God.
Let me know what you decided.
Book: The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren